PROGRAM AND SOCIAL EVENTS
CLIMA 2019 PRELIMINARY PROGRAM
For the WELCOME RECEPTION, AIIR PRESIDENT DINNER and GALA DINNER more details will be available soon.
NOTA: PRICES ARE INDICATED IN THE "REGISTRATION & FEES" SECTION OF THE CLIMA 2019 WEBSITE.
„LA BELLE EPOQUE“ TOUR BY DAY, 4-5 h (Sunday, May 26); the tour includes sightseeing of major objectives, transportation, English speaking guide & entrance to the Parliament Palace – included. Group of minimum 15 people.
COOKING TRADITIONAL ROMANIAN FOOD, 4 h (Monday, May 27); the tour includes a cooking class in a private kitchen & lunch, English speaking trainer – included. Group of minimum 15 people.
“THE LITTLE PARIS” TOUR, 4-5 h (Tuesday, May 28); the tour includes sightseeing of major objectives, transportation, English speaking guide & entrance to the Village Museum – included. Group of minimum 15 people.
HALF DAY IN THERME BUCHAREST, 4-5 h (Wednesday, May 29); the tour includes transportation & entrance in Therme (www.therme.ro) included. Group of minimum 15 people.
NATURE & CULTURE AROUND BUCHAREST: SNAGOV, FULL DAY (Monday, May 27); the tour includes transportation, picnic & entrance to Snagov Monastery included (other activities will be included like canoe & horse ride. Group of minimum 15 people.
CASTLES TOUR, FULL DAY (Tuesday, May 28); the tour includes transportation, English speaking guide, lunch, entrance to Sinaia Monastery, Peles Castle, Brand Castle - included. Group of minimum 15 people.
POST CONGRESS TOUR - DANUBE DELTA, 3 DAYS (May 29 - 31); the tour includes transportation, 2 nights accommodation on a floating hotel in double room, all meals, English speaking guide, several boat trips – included. Group of minimum 10 people.
POST CONGRESS TOUR - BUCOVINA MONASTERIES, 3 DAYS (May 29 - 31); the tour includes transportation, 2 nights accommodation, all meals, English speaking guide, entrance to Sucevita, Moldovita & Voronet painted monasteries - included. Group of minimum 10 people.
NOTA: PRICES ARE INDICATED IN THE "REGISTRATION & FEES SECTION" OF THE CLIMA 2019 WEBSITE. THE COST FOR THE POST-CONGRESS TOURS DOESN'T COVER THE ACCOMMODATION FOR 31 May/01 June 2019 (ADDITIONAL COST OF 75...125 Eur).
TOP 12 REASONS TO VISIT BUCHAREST
The famous publication Huffington Post lists 12 turist attractions in Romania’s Capital City. And it strats with food (1). Over 900 restaurants, of which quite a few have typically Romanian cuisine. Hundreds of old churches (2), with their histories and secrets. Rooftops (3), more than ten, tall buildings on whose roofs you will findvarious restaurants and beer gardens from where you can admire the beauty of the city. The Village Museum (4), the largest open-air, ethnographic museum in Europe, the parks (5) – from the senturies old Cismigiu Garden (Gradina Cismigiu) to the Circus Park ( Parcul Circului) with its rare plant species and the extensive Herastrau Park. Calea Victoriei (6), the former Mogosoaia Bridge, with its palaces and ehe superb building of the Romanian Athenaeum. The eclectic architecture (7) of Bucharest, with its infulence from Paris to Istanbul, a king of the Orient Express pf urban forms. The summer nights in the Old Town (8) – you cannot ... touch them, but they will make you grasp the spirit of the place. The secret gardens (9), the museums (10) and the cozy places (11) – from private theaters to pubs and boutique hotels (12).
PLACES TO VISIT IN BUCHAREST
1. The National Museum of Art of Romania (Romanian: Muzeul Național de Artă al României) is located in the Royal Palace in Revolution Square, central It features collections of medieval and modern Romanian art, as well as the international collection assembled by the Romanian royal family. The exhibition "Shadows and Light" ran from 15 July to 2 October 2005. With four centuries of French art, it was the largest exhibition of French painting in Central and Eastern Europe since 1945. 77 works were exhibited, including masterpieces by painters such as Poussin, Chardin, Ingres, David, Delacroix, Corot, Cézanne, Matisse, Picasso and Braque.
The museum was damaged during the 1989 Romanian Revolution that led to the downfall of Nicolae Ceaușescu. In 2000, part of the museum reopened to the public, housing the modern Romanian collection and the international collection; the comprehensive Medieval art collection, which now features works salvaged from monasteries destroyed during the Ceaușescu era, reopened in spring 2002.
There are also two halls that house temporary exhibits. The modern Romanian collection features sculptures by Constantin Brâncuși, Milita Petrașcu, and Dimitrie Paciurea, as well as paintings by Theodor Aman, Nicolae Grigorescu, Theodor Pallady, Gheorghe Petrașcu, and Gheorghe Tatarescu. The international collection includes works by Old Masters such as Domenico Veneziano, El Greco, Tintoretto, Jan van Eyck, Jan Brueghel the Elder, Peter Paul Rubens, and Rembrandt, plus a smattering of works by impressionists such as Claude Monet and Alfred Sisley. Among the best known Old Master works in the collection are Jacopo Amigoni's portrait of the singer Farinelli, a Crucifixion by Antonello da Messina, and Alonso Cano's Christ at the Column.
In the southern part of the building the European Museum Art Gallery was reopened in 2000. The painting collection was made available on the basis of 214 works of art from the collection of King Charles I, to which were added pictures of other members of the royal family. The king's collection included paintings by El Greco, Rembrandt, Bruegel the Elder, Rubens, and Domenico Veneziano.
In spring 2001, the Romanian Modern Art Gallery reopened. The paintings are displayed on the mezzanine and second floor wing of the building. Mezzanine Romanian painting works are exhibited early (Nicholas Polcovnicul, Eustathius Altini, Anton Chladek, Livaditti Niccolo Giovanni Schiavoni, Carol Wahlstein Constantin Daniel Rosenthal, John Negulici, Constantin Lecca, Carol Popp de Szathmary), along with portraits of family members and a few landscapes.
2. The Romanian Peasant Museum is part of the European family of Museums of Popular Art and Traditions. It is a national museum, under the Ministry of Culture’s patronage. In possession of an especially rich collection of objects, hosted in a Neo-Romanian style historical monument-building, our Museum developed a highly original museography honored in 1996 by receiving the EMYA – European Museum of the Year Award.
The originality of the exhibiting style is continued in the Museum’s publications, in actions such as the Missionary Museum, the Village School, concerts, conferences and exhibition openings.
The Romanian Peasant Museum’s building is placed in Victoriei Square in Bucharest, next to the Natural Science Museum “Grigore Antipa” and the Geology Museum. The construction of the building, including its design was assigned to architect N. Ghika-Budesti, leading member of the autochthonous school of architecture. According to the museographic view of the ethnographer and director Alexandru Tzigara-Samurcas, he was supposed to raise a “palace of autochthonous art” inspired by typical monastery interiors.
The Romanian Peasant Musuem, National Museum of Arts and Traditions holds the richest collection of peasant objects in Romania. Almost 90.000 pieces of patrimony are as many witnesses helping our contemporaries to understand the peasant world. The Ceramics Collection holds around 18.000 representative pieces for the almost 200 pottery centers of Romania. Tohether with these, we hold the complete inventory of some pottery workshops from Hunedoara and Valcea, dating from the 19th century. There are exceptional pieces from Horezu, Oboga, Vama, Pisc, Curtea de Arges, Leheceni, Lapus, Binis, Barsa, Corund, Glogova, Marginea, Radauti, Noul Roman, Drauseni, Fagaras. The oldest piece dates back to 1746. The Costume Collection holds almost 20.000 pieces of costume from all Romanian provinces starting with the first half of the 19th century. Some of the pieces were donated by personalities such as Queen Maria, Sabina Cantacuzino, Elisa I. Bratianu and collectors like Dimitrie Comsa and Octavian Rogusk.
3. The Natural Science Museum “Grigore Antipa” is one of the oldest research institutions in the field of biodiversity and public education. It is in the same time one of the well known and highly appreciated “databases” due to the Museum’s collections, some of them valuable assets of the worldwide thesaurus. Although its beginnings are related to the “Museum of Natural History and Antiquities” established in 1834 by Mihalache Ghica, the peak of its purpose and brightness was reached in the past century, under the patronage of Grigore Antipa. Grigore Antipa was born in Botoșani on December 7th,1867. In 1885 he enrolled into the Faculty of Sciences and Medicine from Iași, Natural Sciences department. He interrupted his studies at the Iași University and left with his brother to Jena, where he became the student of the famous professor Ernst Haeckel, an arduous supporter of the evolutionary theory and founder of the Phyletic Museum. Returning to Jena in 1889, Grigore Antipa enthusiastically accepted the offer to leave on a scientific expedition to Helgoland Island.
On the 9th of March 1891, Grigore Antipa presented his PhD thesis, Ernst Haeckel giving him a summa cum laude honorary mention, which he gave only three times during his career.
In August 1892, returning home, Grigore Antipa was awarded a meeting with king Charles I during which he presented to the king a memoir dedicated to the “rationalized fishery in Romanian waters”. Impressed, the king recommended Antipa to Petre Carp (Minister of Agriculture) as general director of National Fisheries, to Take Ionescu (Minister of Religions) as director of the zoological collections of the Univesrity Museum and to General Ion Lahovary (Minister of War) to allow him to board the military ships travelling on the Black Sea.
Grigore Antipa explains to Dimitrie Sturdza the necessity of a Natural History Museum. As a result, at the age of almost 25, Antipa became the director of the National Fisheries until 1914 and the director of the Zoology department of the University Museum. In 1903, Grigore Antipa presented to Sturdza a memoir in which he demonstrated the necessity to have a building especially built for a “National History Museum of a national capital”. The first halls of the Kiseleff Museum were officially opened on 24 May 1908 in the presence of King Charles I, Princess Mary and other important personalities of the scientific, cultural and political elite of the time. Thus, for the first time in history, the Museum exhibited the dioramas – three-dimensional showcases in which the species were presented according to their habitats, in natural positions and projected onto a painted background. The success of this presentation strategy made of dioramas an example to follow for other museums around the world.
Grigore Antipa enriched the scientific collections of the Museum through donations and by the acquisition of exhibits, being supported in his endeavour by numerous personalities and institutions all over the country and abroad due to its renowned research reputation throughout his life. The Museum he organized and administered for 51 years was to the great Grigore Antipa his home, laboratory, resting place and multi-professional work field.
4. The Palace of the Parliament (Romanian: Palatul Parlamentului) is the seat of the Parliament of Romania. Located on Dealul Arsenalului in central Bucharest (Sector 5), it is the largest administrative building in the world with a height of 84 metres (276 ft), an area of 365,000 square metres (3,930,000 sq ft) and a volume of 2,550,000 cubic metres (90,000,000 cu ft). In terms of weight, the Palace of the Parliament is the heaviest building in the world, weighing in at around 4,098,500,000 kilograms (9.0356×109 lb).
A colossal parliament building known for its ornate interior composed of 23 sections, it houses the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies, three museums and an international conference center.
The museums hosted inside the Palace are the National Museum of Contemporary Art, the Museum of Communist Totalitarianism (established in 2015) and the Museum of the Palace. Though named the House of the Republic (Romanian: Casa Republicii), after the Romanian Revolution in 1989 it became widely known as the People's House (Romanian: Casa Poporului). Due to its impressive endowments, events organized by state institutions and international bodies such as conferences, symposia, and others take place there, but even so about 70% of the building remains empty.
In 1990, Australian business magnate Rupert Murdoch wanted to buy the building for US $1 billion, but his bid was rejected. As of 2008, the Palace of the Parliament is valued at €3 billion ($3.4 billion), making it the most expensive administrative building in the world. The cost of heating and electric lighting alone exceeds $6 million per year, as much as the cost for a medium-sized city.
After the earthquake of March 4th 1977, Nicolae Ceaușescu started a reconstruction plan of Bucharest. The People's House was the center of this project. Named Project Bucharest, it was an ambitious project of Ceaușescu's begun in 1978 as an intended replica of Pyongyang, the North Korean capital. A systematization project existed since the 1930s (during the time of Carol II) for the Unirii–Dealul Arsenalului area. Its construction was organized as a contest and won by Anca Petrescu, who was appointed chief architect of the project when she was just 28. In total, the team that coordinated the work was made up of 10 architects, which supervised a further 700. Construction of the Palace began on June 25th 1984, and the inauguration of the work was attended by Ceaușescu.
The building was erected on the site of some monasteries that were demolished and on the site of Uranus Hill that was leveled. In this area were located the National Archives, Văcărești Monastery, Brâncovenesc Hospital, as well as about 37 old factories and workshops. Demolition in Uranus area began in 1982. 7 km2 of the old city center was demolished, and 40,000 people were relocated from this area. The works were carried out with forced labor of soldiers and so the cost was minimized.
Between 20,000 and 100,000 people worked on the site, sometimes operating in three shifts. Thousands of people died at the People's House, some mention a figure of 3,000 people. In 1989 building costs were estimated at $1.75 billion, and in 2006 at €3 billion. The construction of the Palace began in 1984 and initially should have been completed in only two years. The term was then extended until 1990, but even now it is not finalized. Only 400 rooms and two meeting rooms are finished and used, out of 1,100 rooms.
The building has eight underground levels, the last one being an antiatomic bunker, linked to the main state institutions by 20 km of catacombs. Nicolae Ceaușescu feared nuclear war. The bunker is a room with 1.5 m thick concrete walls and can not be penetrated by radiation. The shelter is composed of the main hall – headquarters that would have had telephone connections with all military units in Romania – and several residential apartments for state leadership, in the event of war.
The building has a developed area of 365,000 m2, making it the world's second-largest administrative building, after The Pentagon, and in terms of volume, with its 2.55 million m3, it is the third most massive, after the Vehicle Assembly Building of the John F. Kennedy Space Center in Florida and the Temple of the Feathered Serpent in Teotihuacan, Mexico. For comparison, it can be mentioned that the building exceeds by 2% the volume of the Great Pyramid of Giza, and therefore some sources label it as a "pharaonic" construction.
The building of the Palace of the Parliament sinks by 6 mm each year. Romanian specialists who analyzed the data argue that massive weigh and structure of the Palace lead to the settlement of layers below the construction.
5. The Romanian Athenaeum (Romanian: Ateneul Român) is a concert hall in the center of Bucharest, Romania and a landmark of the Romanian capital city.
Opened in 1888, the ornate, domed, circular building is the city's main concert hall and home of the "George Enescu" Philharmonic and of the George Enescu annual international music festival.
In 1865, cultural and scientific personalities such as Constantin Esarcu, A. Urechia, and Nicolae Crețulescu founded the Romanian Atheneum Cultural Society. To serve its purposes, the Romanian Athenaeum, a building dedicated to art and science, would be erected in Bucharest.
The building was designed by the French architect Albert Galleron, built on a property that had belonged to the Văcărescu family and inaugurated in 1888, although work continued until 1897. A portion of the construction funds was raised by public subscription in a 28-year-long effort, of which the slogan is still remembered today: "Donate one leu for the Ateneu!"
On December 29, 1919, the Atheneum was the site of the conference of leading Romanians who voted to ratify the unification of Bessarabia, Transylvania, and Bukovinawith the Romanian Old Kingdom to constitute Greater Romania.
Extensive reconstruction and restoration work has been conducted in 1992 by a Romanian construction company and restoration painter Silviu Petrescu, saving the building from collapse. The 9 million Euro required were contributed in equal shares by the government and the Council of Europe Development Bank.
More details will be available soon.